Greg Malouf is an Australian chef with Lebanese heritage and he cooks wondrous middle eastern fusion food at MoMo in Collins Street. Lian and Matt had been there fairly recently for a special occasion and had raved about it, but gave no hint, none whatsoever, that this was to be a dining destination during my visit. Had they done so I would have backed away on financial grounds, being very cheap these days. But they played it very cool. We've booked somewhere for dinner on Saturday night they said breezily. Where? I asked. Oh...just somewhere cheap and cheerful. But I began to suspect they were up to something when Lian said, ever so casually, you might want to wear the best outfit you brought, tonight...So I borrowed some of her stuff and we frocked up in a big way. One of life's great pleasures, getting frocked up to go out with your daughter. I was happy to dress up even for a cheap and cheerful. But when I saw Matt in a suit, and we began to walk up that part of Collins Street where the altitude climb reflects the status climb: Armani, Gucci, Vuitton, then I knew. By the time we entered the veiled, faintly haremesque splendour of MoMo's dining room I was barely able to squeak, much to their amusement. Happy Birthday, Mum, Lian said.
We had the Arabesque menu. I can't begin to convey how good the food was. Have a look at MoMo's website if you're interested.
http://www.momorestaurant.com.au/ It was all so elegant, complex and sophisticated. I had to have a few things on the menu explained, and the waitstaff were completely professional about it. We chose a Crittendon Estate Pinot Noir with the sommelier's advice. It was just right, a light spicy young red, with just enough muscle to complement the duck and the rabbit. Desserts were amazing. I love it when a restaurant serves dishes that you know you could never do as well yourself. All finished with zingy coffee and tiny potent petit fours.
It was not the kind of place where one would use flash on the camera, but the waiter was more than happy to take our photo. This soft focus shot captures the ambience of the place quite well.
This was my dessert, see the "Happy Birthday" message in chocolate syrup on the bottom of the plate? Stylish.
Thanks, Lian and Matt. That was a nice birthday present. I liked it a lot.
Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! And so glad we pulled it off without me spilling the beans before time!
ReplyDeleteDave is green!!!
ReplyDelete