Thursday, June 24, 2010

Shattered





Shattered. Kevin Rudd in his gracious speech this morning looked shattered. I can hardly believe this has happened. I was looking forward to Kevin 11, and the ruthless speed with which that idea has been excised from all our expectations - well, it shocks me. It's not that I don't like Julia Gillard, I do. She's articulate, astute, strong and I think she will make a great Prime Minister. I just wasn't ready yet, I'm not sure she is and I wonder if they have jumped too soon. Who are "They"? Well, I wish I knew who these faceless factional power brokers are! Who are these people who decide that our Prime Minister is to be unceremoniously dumped, and his deputy dragged up to take his place? I dread to contemplate what today's decisions will mean for the government in the next election. I will be very disappointed if the next Prime Minister is that annoying wretch Tony Abbott, whose main skill is to trot out meaningless cheap-shot sound grabs for the Murdoch media to promulgate. And imagine if his deputy was that intellectual powerhouse Joe Hockey. Or the equally (un)impressive Julie Bishop. Sigh. It's a dirty business, politics.

Kevin Rudd - I appreciate what you have achieved, and I wish you had been supported by your party long enough to achieve much more. You were a fine Prime Minister.

Today we finished our tour of real estate in the Bega/Merimbula area. Saw a lot of great blocks, with three or four that are definite contenders for our future home. But we also reaffirmed our liking of the Tarraganda property we already own. There is so much that could be done there, and the challenge of realising its potential is certainly a driver for us. So we are just letting the matter rest there for a while. There is a lot of Australia still to see, we do not have to make a decision just yet. Unlike the ALP, we will not change horses mid river, just for the sake of it.

Here is some of what we looked at today.

Block 25, Belmont Park Estate on Bald Hills Road near Pambula.

Yowaka River near Pambula


A heart-wrenching block at Wolumla, which really was a field of broken dreams, a plantation of some kind that appeared to have died in the drought, and the owners had subdivided their land and were selling it off in three pieces.
















Finally, our two adjacent blocks at Tarraganda, one of which has an old farmhouse on it. This is a view from the vacant block, looking at the side of the front garden of the other block, showing some of the lovely old camellias and crepe myrtles. The farmhouse is out of view to the left of this picture.


1 comment:

  1. Well known for his "Crazy" views, CB adds this comment.

    I liken the swift, brutal and undignified removal of Kevin Rudd as PM to the actions taken by Churchill when he ordered the sinking of the majority of French Fleet while they were tied up in port in France (and killed 1300 defenceless French sailors in the process) after the capitulation of France to Germany in 1940. A disgusting but perhaps justified act against an Allied country - making sure the balance on the high seas was not tipped towards the Germans.

    Politics in Australia is akin to war. Labor could see the writing on the wall and decided to take action to change what they knew was inevitable.

    Now we have two major parties that have credible leaders and only the Australian voters will tell who will be our PM come October.

    War is tough and so is politics. Maybe that was why my grandfather was an aethiest, a conscientious objector and made his career in the co-operative movement - organised politics and armies weren't his thing!

    ReplyDelete