Monday, June 28, 2010

Sale, the place


Before leaving Bairnsdale, we decided on the crazy plan of an early morning bike ride to Macleod's Morass, to go birdwatching. This boardwalk was covered in frost, and led to the middle of a swamp full of dried rushes and no birds. But we heard frogs and reedwarblers.


In another part of Macleod's Morass we were privileged to see this Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia) going about its business. Possible that it was next to its nest, which is described as "a shallow platform of sticks" We also saw blue billed ducks, black swans, lots of little brown birds we didn't recognise and a European goldfinch. Once I took an English visitor to Jerrabomberra wetlands in Canberra and he said, Look! A goldfinch! Couldn't be, I replied sagely. Not in Australia. But he was right and I was, as is not unsusual, completely wrong.

Then we drove to Sale. This I mention because it was actually where I was born. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon, and after setting up, headed off to explore a bit of the place on our bikes. I think my parents lived here for about four years, while my Dad was being a pilot at the RAAF base. Brother Anthony was born here too. We left when I was about two. They didn't seem very fond of the place, and I can see why. The Botanic Gardens (above) seems to be the nicest bit, established in 1860, and adjacent to Lake Guthridge, a largish but not natural lake. Apparently it used to be a swamp.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Ah! McLeods Morass - what a wonderful place. And Sale - a better place God has not yet created. The Retired Psychologist must be in seventh heaven (sort of). Information provided on Terminus Hotel is scant - did the volume of food not impress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so Sale is flat and unattractive. Where next?

    ReplyDelete