Today felt too hot for the first time on this trip. We are in Mackay now, the start of the seriously sweet sugar country. There's going to be more, much more of this as we go further north.
Last night we free camped at a tiny place called Carmila Beach. Picture this, you arrive, set up under the big casuarina then take twenty steps with your drink in your hand and sit on the beach doing nothing but looking at the horizon while the gentle wavelets paw the sand in a soothing way. It is about 25 degrees.
The German boys next door laughed and chattered until quite late but it didn't worry us. Reminded me of the Indian boys who descended on Central Station in Fraser Island while we were there. Young and energetic and free and full of themselves, just as it should be. The Fraser Island group was hilarious, they arrived just as we were packing up, did a lap of the campground in their convoy of vehicles, with the car stereos playing oomph oomph music. Then they parked outside the toilets and all 17 of them exploded out of the cabins and began to dance around to the Bollywood disco soundtrack. It was so incongruous you couldn't help but laugh.
The German boys were still inside their station wagon campers trying to sleep while the boomers were up and leaving. I got up at 5.30am because this is what I saw when I opened my eyes.
So I went for a long walk on the beach.
That sunrise just got better and better.
Here is where we were camped. It was all very hard to take.
Today we stopped at Sarina sugar mill to satisfy the curiosity about how cane is turned into the crystalline stuff. All very fascinating, but I won't bore you with the details.
Now, we are in Mackay for a couple of days. In a caravan park, so I can do washing and we can recharge and refill everything, we might even go to a movie. And Bunnings. And get a haircut.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bunnings - the mecca of all travellers (well at least in Aus.) It was at Bunnings (or soon thereafter) that David and I met Ilonka in the supermarket and look what happened - Zumba. One wonders if you'll bump into someone you know in Mackay.
ReplyDeleteSue up at 5:30 am - impressive but will it last. The photos of sunrise at Carmila Beach look superb. No need to travel anywhere now - just see it all on Rover all Over.
I think it must be getting close to Cairns and mum day - I think it is end of September from memory - my how well you have filled in the Queensland bit. Most just hop in their cars and head straight for Port Douglas when there is so much between. All you need is some time, some non-caravan park skills, a tyre pressure gauge and solar equipment and the world is your oyster.
Love from Brown Dog and his moll in warm 16 degree day in Canberra. No interest in apartment yet!!