Monday, May 23, 2011

Yay! Visitors!

Peter and Elaine just came to spend the weekend, it being the occasion of Marjory's birthday. She doesn't read this blog, so I am able to confide in you that she just turned 88!  If I am as mobile, healthy and strong minded as she is when I reach 88 (should I be permitted to live that long), then that would be a good thing. I have often said to Wim, Mae and Lian that I may be coming to live with one of them when I am really old and crotchety, along with my supply of incontinence pads. This generally provokes squawks of protest and talk of nursing homes.

Anyway, with Marjory, the challenge for us is to scaffold her daily living tasks in such a way that she retains her sense of autonomy and individuality. She does need backing up and assistance in all sorts of areas, but David and I try to do it invisibly. We are all still finding our way here. But The Birthday went well.

Various birthday phone calls came in, and Marjory liked her poetry book from Elaine and Peter, as well as her new warm red jacket from us.


We had a beautiful roast lamb dinner with champagne and cake on Saturday night. Sunday we took Peter and Elaine to the block.



 From the top boundary, Elaine proclaimed there was a sea view. We all craned and peered and couldn't be sure, but the photos later proved her to be absolutely correct! A Sea View! Imagine! From henceforth, that part of the block will be known as "Elaine's Point". Should we erect a viewing tower? A Widow's Walk? Here it, the sea view. Magnificent, isn't it?




 Regrettably, this latest block inspection revealed a problem as well as the bonus sea view. This large crack in the dam wall needs to be attended to, or we may lose our water. The level seems to be holding up, but there has been a lot of rain so perhaps that accounts for it. We need to learn about dams, now that we are rural people. Nice ring, rural people. Be voting National Party next, do I hear you say? Allow me to reassure you, Rob Oakeshott is our man.


Had lunch on the picnic tables at Black Head, overlooking this view of the lagoon, with the beach in front of us.  Noice.










No comments:

Post a Comment