Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mothers Day

I always think of my Mum on Mother's Day. Not that she was sentimental about the day, in fact I think she was somewhat suspicious that it was all a beat-up by the greeting card companies. But I liked making a bit of a fuss of her. She died in an accident at 77. She would have been 89 this year. She probably would have hated being 89. She was never a complainer, and she cracked hardy, even when doing so was detrimental to herself. She was a very active, sharp-minded and independent person, always busy doing things, usually for other people. She had some principles by which she lived her life. "There are those that will work and those that will let them" was one. We were constantly warned of the perils of being "too wrapped up in yourself" and often reminded not to put off until tomorrow what we could do today. You know how you hear yourself saying things your mother said? I'm sure I've said all those things to my kids.

I had a good Mother's Day this year. Lian, Wim and Mae all got in touch, as well as Kim on behalf of granddaughter Keliyah. We had the seafood lunch, with Chris and Robyn, plus Heather who is Robyn's Mum, and friend Ilonka. Opened the Moet et Chandon that Frank from Luton's gave us to celebrate the sale of our Greenway apartment. We all felt very "Live The Dream" as we enjoyed our bubbles on the south terrace overlooking the golf course.



Then it was oysters all round, with sour dough bread and limes. Followed by David's bouillabaisse, which was very special. A concentrated fish stock infused with Greg Malouf's spice mezza: Golden Ras el Hanouf, a North African blend, in which was poached a mix of seafood: mussels, prawns, snapper fillets and blue swimmer crab.



The meal was completed by an elegantly light mandarin cake served with yoghourt. Thanks Robyn! The cook and the chef did us proud. 

1 comment:

  1. You know it's a classy dish when you can't pronounce it.
    -Nick

    ReplyDelete