Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lazing on a Sunday afternoon

It's May Day. Always makes me think of Russian tanks in procession, and the call for help at sea (m'aidez) and off course, my darling Mae.  Who hates it when people call her Mae-day.

We have been here exactly a month.  I know this because it was April Fool's Day when we moved in, and two days later went to the markets at Black Head. I was really looking forward to going again this morning, they are on the first Sunday of the month except in winter. But when we arrived on this glorious sunny Sunday morning, with our list and our money and our bags, there was no sign of the markets. Sadly cancelled - too wet underfoot. There has been over a metre of rain in this area so far this year, well above the average. In fact over 500mm fell on one day only about 6 weeks ago. The whole place is like a bright green sponge. I love it. So restful after the crackling, spare, desperate looking browns and burnt out yellows of the limestone plains around Canberra.  Which have their beauty - see Rosalie Gascoigne's work - it's just that I was sick of it.

But I digress. In place of the markets there was a "car boot sale" and we did OK there. Here's the haul.

One side benefit of the rain is that there are funghi everywhere. You know how I like funghi. These little beauties were on the golf course this morning.





Whoops, not a fungus. This is a white faced heron. Clearly, looking intelligently to see where that golf ball went.

Whoops, not a golf ball, this is a fungus. It has no idea where the white faced heron went.

Edible?

Pretty as flowergirl's dresses. By the way, did you watch The Wedding of The Century? Well, after saying he would be doing his trombone practice in the lounge room while it was on, David actually sat down and watched it with me. And even got all sentimental about Our Wedding, all those years ago. What a sweet guy.

That's enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment