Friday, March 23, 2012

Visit to Canberra

I spent last weekend in Canberra, staying with Mae and Nick. A quick visit, some mothering seemed called for.  Arrived on Friday night after just over 9 hours travel via train and coach. On Saturday Mae had to work so I had breakfast with friend Sue Driscoll, also a psychologist, and a great listener to my troubles. Some black humour going down and snorting laughter in our coffees.  Felt much better after that. Later, Nick and I went to the vet hospital and met Mae for lunch.


 Mae in her work milieu - this is an animal anaesthetic machine.


And here are some of the tools of her trade - rat tooth forceps, spey hooks, that kind of thing...


Mae went back to work and Nick and I went to the Drill Hall Gallery for a sumptuous exhibition of landscapes. "Spirit in the Land" http://www.netsvictoria.org.au/spirit-in-the-land/?PHPSESSID=1ec65711b00b6b4b09acf91cace4bcaf Check the destinations, it may be touring near you in the next year and it is a cracker of a collection. Here's just one - a Sidney Nolan

 

 We went out to a film after Mae got home from work - "A Separation" winner of a raft of prizes, including an Academy Award, it is an Iranian film in Persian language. Complex, challenging and sad, it made me feel relieved to be living in Australia. Afterwards, tapas and paella at Legends with Nick and Mae, Sally, Sarah and Grant as well as Liz and Tony.

Sunday morning sleep ins meant it was just me and the cats for a while.  They swore blind they get breakfast. On the top of the washing machine. Every morning! Truly! I spooned out some kibbles, which were quickly hoovered up.  They lied, every one of them, through their little pointy teeth.


Nick is studying for his Masters, so Mae and I made ourselves scarce on Sunday and left him to it. We went to the Bus Depot markets where it was International Day.



 Then afterwards to The Portrait Gallery. Monday Mae and Nick were back at work of course, but I got to have lunch with another friendly psycho - Kris Kosky.  I love the mid north coast but I do miss my women friends. While there was able to catch up by chance and very briefly with Marg - Canberra is a small place, and it seems Everyone lunches at Beess and Co. Time to buy a going-away-guilt-gift for David, then visited Sally and her Amazing Garden in O'Connor. Monday night I cooked a stir fry with some of Sally's vegetables, and her figs with sugar and lime for dessert. Yum. Tuesday Mae was on late shift so we had the morning together doing some medical stuff for her, followed by a little reward in the form of iced chocolates and cake, before visiting Bobbie and John (and Charlie) at Barton.  Then back on that bus to Sydney. Whew.  What a packed trip. Good, but.


 David was pleased to see me. Marjory is in Sydney at present, so he had been on his own. I was fairly knackered at work on Wednesday and Thursday after the travelling, so it was good to get down to the beach Thursday evening for a reviving walk. Squabbling seagulls.


 A sunset drink at the golf club across the road from our house on Thursday night.



Eudemonia - the pursuit of happiness through a rational, active life. I'm tryin'.  Lord knows, I'm giving it my best shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment