Saturday, July 30, 2011

National Motorcycle Museum

It turns out The National Motorcycle Museum, which used to live in Canberra, is now located in Nabiac, a village about 20 minutes' drive from us. http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.com.au/about.htm   So since houseguest Keir is a 2-wheel man of some renown, a visit was called for. Little known fact: I have a current motorcycle licence.


 Keir found fine examples of the marque dating from the start of his riding career, oh, about a hundred years ago.


 There were over 700 bikes on display, some on loan and many owned by the Kelleher family, the private founders of the museum. Boy, they really love their bikes. It's a whole other subculture.


Check out the attached animal horns adorning this yellow beast, and also the tasteful wall art behind.


 May I confide in you that I found the wall displays as fascinating, if not more so, than the machines.


 Perhaps you remember the name Dale Buggins? He was a stunt rider, Australia's answer to Evel Knievel.  I say "was" because he did not see his 21st birthday. The walls were covered with similar tributes to other riders. My Dad always referred to motorcyclists as "temporary citizens".  Perhaps the risk is part of the attraction.


  I could imagine myself in the red leather sprung luxury of this 1925 sidecar. Attached to  8HP AJS bike, the whole combination retailed for 87 guineas. I suspect that was rather a lot of money in 1925.


 This was my favourite bike on display. A 1918 Model J Harley Davidson 1000cc, in original condition.


It featured this unforgiving unpadded seat and a similarly spartan side car. It was ridden until 1953!


And finally, this little beauty. Remember I said I still have a motorcycle licence? Well, it was originally bestowed  in 1968 when I rode around the block on a machine very similar to this, and came back in one piece.  I used to ride (slowly) to ANU from Hackett on my little scooter all through the winter of 1968, and I would arrive at my destination with facial muscles so cold I usually could not speak for some time. Then the parents got posted overseas and I was loaned the family car for a couple of years. It was a 1955 Ford Consul. A step up. I could take passengers, and also fit all my worldly goods into the back seat when I needed to move house, which I did quite frequently in those days. Never had a motorcycle since.  But there is a lingering desire for a shiny little red scooter to zoom around Melbourne on...

1 comment:

  1. Splutter, cough - one hundred years ago!! At least I rode proper bikes, not a woozy little scooter.

    ReplyDelete