I don't mind if I never go to Liverpool again. That's where David's specialist "Head and Neck" surgeon has his rooms, although he operates all over the place. So we went there by train, an educational experience for us cushioned, car driving ex-Canberra types.
The views from the train windows (through the graffiti and the cloudy perspex) were mostly of desperate back yards and filthy semi-commercial wastelands, it's an eye opener. Our fellow travellers mid morning on a weekday were a multicultural delight. I loved this lad's head gear.
At Liverpool shops, the fountain was frothy and detergented, and the sculptures restrained and tasteful.
David fitted right in on the streets of Liverpool.
The surgeon's waiting room was crammed with people. Standing room only. No wonder his colleague came down with pneumonia, if the pressure is always like this on them. The surgeon was a good communicator and very efficient, but the news was not so good. David's surgery has been postponed to 15 July so we will have to make another trip down to Sydney then. Also, the surgeon confirmed that the cancer, while slow growing, is likely to require radioactive iodine treatment down the track a month or so after surgery, and that process doesn't sound like much fun. So in the mean time, our focus will be on claiming back for David the best possible health, in readiness for more treatment. Hopefully in a few months, he will be good as new.
So, in the spirit of eudemonia, I made the effort to go out to a play last night, (being that we are staying in Belvoir Street, right across the road from the theatre). David and Linda went out for a Japanese meal. My play was Chekhov's "The Seagull" an Australian adaptation by Benedict Andrews, with Judy Davis and David Wenham as two of the leads. Now, you may have heard me on the subject of David Wenham before. I have been a Wenham tragic since Sea Change days, and I thought he was an esoteric acquired taste, but it turns out all women of whatever age are secretly in love with him, not just me. He was nearly sitting in my lap during the performance, I could smell him, that's how close he was...Oh, and the play was really good! Here's a review if you're interested. http://blogs.crikey.com.au/curtaincall/2011/06/15/review-the-seagull-belvoir-street-theatre-sydney/
This morning we walked to the Bourke Street Bakery and had a fantastic breakfast of pastries and coffee, and bought some great looking soy and linseed sourdough bread. Then visited an Italian tile shop, a wooden flooring shop and a bathroom shop. After which David was exhausted and so we went back to Linda's. I spent the afternoon researching bathrooms, kitchens, tiles and fittings, in the "home improvement" district of Alexandria. It's all changed a lot since we built the Fadden house. What do you think of this basin, for example?
Tomorrow, we head back north, going home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
if you thought the inner-west line is an eye-opener , try the nairobi-to-mombasa train (the slums on the outskirts of nai go right up to the tracks)
ReplyDelete