Friday, September 23, 2011

Fire in the Belly

Wednesday nights are my Sunday. The day before the working week starts. Sometimes it feels like a drag and I'd rather stay home.  But there are other days when I just love it. Today was one of those days. For the first time in years I am working with other psychologists - and they get it! They get what this work is all about! So I'm feeling rather unexpectedly happy in my new workplace, enjoying speaking the same language as colleagues I work with, enjoying peer supervision, enjoying the coffee club, the conversations and the professional development.  Also it's rather nice to walk in, and the receptionists have done all the bookings and reminders and forms and money side, so all I have to do is The Work.  In other word, the fun bit. The work is actually quite challenging.  The low socioeconomic profile of this area means that there are more serious issues presenting.  Of course that also means that the impact of what you do is greater, very satisfying. Two days a week is about the right amount, though.

So while I was swanning about at the practice today, David and Marjory were hard at work.  Marjory went to art class, and David went to the block and did some serious burning off.  This is not the simple, unregulated activity it was in the days of yore, in the simple days of my girlhood.  No, these days you have to fill out forms and get permission, and name a date and check with the local fire authorities and ask the neighbours. Then, and only then, can you do this:




No comments:

Post a Comment