Ruth and I have known each other since we were both 14 and trying to get by at school and on dates without wearing our glasses because "boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses". Times have changed but the friendship hasn't and I try to catch up whenever we are in the same city. But now we can see where we're going thanks to being grown up and also both having laser surgery. Where we were going was the Valentino exhibition in Brisbane's Gallery of Modern Art. http://qag.qld.gov.au/exhibitions/current/valentino_retrospective. We left Frank and David behind to look after eachother and joined eleventy hundred other women of a certain age in this absolutely fabulous retrospective of fifty years' work of an Italian haute couture fashion house. Ruth, being a good woman and highly organised, had bought tickets the day before so we sashayed past a queue leading half a kilometre around the block. Men were conspicuously absent from the audience. The dresses were astonishing. I had no idea that bespoke and also pret a porter garments of this exquisite detail and richness were still being made. They truly are museum pieces. I can't imagine what some of them might cost. As much as a house, I suspect. Ruth and I had lunch in a cafe by the river and giggled and gabbled, some things never change.
David and I left Brisbane heading southwest and made it to stunning Cunningham's Gap late afternoon. This is a high saddle in the Great Dividing Range, the other side of which is laid out, in all its black soil splendour, the Darling Downs. This season has been so kind it is looking even more splendid than usual, but what a lovely part of the country. Here is a Turneresque sunset shot from the New England Highway.
We bedded down at Warwick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment