Friday, October 7, 2011

A capital day

We're back home now but I want to tell you more about our Canberra trip.  Tuesday was one of those full and satisfying days.  Just as well it was a good day because I passed up a night at the opera in Sydney with Elaine in order to stay longer in Canberra. I may live to regret not having seen Teddy Tahu Rhodes singing Don Giovanni, clad only in black leather shorts, a cape and make up on his 6-pack. I wonder if he will appear half naked at Port Macquarie in November for the performance we are booked to see - I fear not.

Tuesday morning we went to the storage facility holding most of our worldly goods and picked up David's golf clubs.  He's running out of excuses now. We live at a golf resort, overlooking the practice greens and the start and finish of a championship course. This scene is a minute's walk away.


But I digress. Back in Canberra we next went on a selection expedition to the delights of a big lighting shop, the like of which doesn't exist where we now live. Chose the bathroom fans and looked at lights for the kitchen. Then it was time for a treat. Yes, I admit it, food. Specifically the incomparable Flute Bakery for lunch. Highlight was the coffee with pistachio mousse cake. Nothing like this in Taree. Rivals the best of Acland Street in fact. Thus refuelled, we launched ourselves at the family accountant to discuss The Tax Return. Charles Ledger (now isn't that the most perfect name for an accountant?) was wearing pin stripe trousers, a quiet shirt and, wait for it, a bright yellow tie covered in smiley faces. He decided against wearing that tie for the Tax Office audit last week, he said. Might bring out the worst in them.

After enjoying Charles' company for a while we met up with Marg and Keir for afternoon tea at Beaver Galleries. Here's Keir with David in the courtyard.


I only saw about twenty five artworks I wanted to buy, but this one was my favourite. It is laser cut steel outdoor sculpture.


So then it was a lovely little bit of time with Mae, unfortunately interspersed with her having to clear out the car in case we needed to borrow it. She coped really well with this challenge, I must say. We love ya, Mae.  Last lovely thing we did - a film! At a cinema that does not resemble a flea pit. I do miss Canberra's cinemas. I went with my film group Quaffers (Quality Films with Food) to see "The Eye of the Storm" Fred Schepisi's adapatation of Patrick White's novel. What a rich and deep production it is. Lots of fodder for us (mostly) social workers and psychologists who make up Quaffers. And what a misanthropist Patrick White was. He wrote a collection of deliciously complicated and flawed characters, none of whom you would wish to spend time with. Meanwhile David and Julian saw "The Guardian".  Then there was a good meal at Mecca Bah. The following day - back home.  Only 6 hours' drive.  We must do it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment