Back to work last week. The practice books are not full but there is enough coming in to keep me interested and to help keep us afloat financially, without being too stressful. So far. I can't see myself retiring any time soon, however. Will people still want to come and pay good money to talk with me when I'm 70?
Last week seemed to go past in a blur of catch-up sorts of jobs. I cleaned the house thoroughly for the first time in literally months. We did the pool, the tiling. We even did the windows. This house is spider heaven. The tall clerestory windows were festooned, as always, with webs and spiders and spider dinner remnants and spider dribble and heaven knows what. Plus they are very nearly impossible to clean. Just as I knew they would be! Grr. How many times did I plead with David and the architects and the builder for an alternative to inaccessible clerestory windows such as these?
Our neighbour Richard drove his tractor over with some paddock gifts from Dude. Always welcome. We feel so lucky with our neighbours who are all so helpful and welcoming. There are some good parties too, like Jen's 60th last week. Live music and lots of singing and dancing.
It continues to be hot and dry. So dry the grass is slowly turning brown and we are watering to keep tiny plants alive. This is not supposed to happen. The monthly rainfall is supposed to be 100ml not 10ml. But it's not as dry and brown as Victoria was. Or most of NSW. I complain, but it could be worse.
Frangipani cuttings do work, see? I have always wanted to grow frangipanis. These please me a lot, growing just outside the guest bedroom windows.
Elsewhere, we have planted all the cuttings and seedlings raised in our propagating area. David has taken to quietly watering select plants with the trouser hose. We have heard it deters rabbits. Did you know that rabbits preferentially browse flowers? They like to eat flowers better than anything else.
Last year I made rosella jam from a plant I bought at the markets. Then I saved the seed and this year I have a few plants. More rosella jam than anyone could ever deal with, coming up.
This photo shows our latest project underway. See those people on the roof? They are installing a 4KW photovoltaic array. Another long held dream. To generate some solar power. If the maths is right, it will save us on the electrickery. But first, we have to pay for it. Back to work!
We still have Suki. She is charming everybody who visits. Here, she hunts for Narnia in my desk drawer.
Speaking of visitors, we have just had the pleasure of Marg and Keir's company for a few days. Also, Peter came to bring Marjory back to live with us for a bit. In this photo, we are sharing a oyster entree with Marg and Keir, plus mutual friends Peter and Clare. Funny night. Too many bottles. Bit slow at work today as a result. So better not have another very late night tonight. Night night all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





And a lovely stay it was too
ReplyDelete