Well, as you may have guessed, a busy month. Lots going on in family matters.
Wim is working in London and says he was a Christmas orphan, not even a card from his mother (sad but true...) But he does appear, at least in this photo he sent, to be having some fun, sometimes. I wish he would get in touch with his English rellos, of which there are many.
The January heat gave us vegies and more vegies. Particularly proud of the lettuces.
More eggplant and cucumbers than we thought possible. What to do with them?
Baba Ghanoush with the eggplant. Still have a few cucumbers in the fridge, even after giving a few away. The Charentais melons were fantastic. But the bush rats liked them a lot. So much that most of the melons had been pre-tasted before we picked them. Now the bush rats have decided the neighbourhood is so desirable, they have moved in under the hot water tank. Rabbits under the deck, rats under the water tank. How long before there are possums in the roof? Do we need a dog?
I guess the wildlife was here first, but still. This shot was taken in the very early morning during a sun shower. The garden is coming along. We've planted hundreds of things in the last few weeks. At the moment, there's almost nothing in pots waiting to be planted. I mention this because, for us, that's extremely unusual.
Our two favourite butcher birds returned once they figured out a) we were back from NZ and b) the Christmas guests were gone. They are looking tatty and irritable. Reason being, they are moulting into their adult plumage.
This culinary delight is a joint effort, the very best lemon meringue pie we could create for a very special event...
Kirstin and Nate's wedding, held mid January at the Avalon Sailing Club. What a great occasion it was. My favourite bit was the flashmob of elders, loudly and confidently singing "I know something about love!" to Kirstin. This hilarious surprise was hatched at the creative heartland of Diamond Beach. Those gen Y's were gob smacked. Very satisfying!
Great to see so many extended family members there, including Julian, looking as usual, suavely right on trend with his man-bun hair, retro bow-tie and Ray Bans. David is wearing his Bunnings safety glasses. $13 a pair. I have a pair too.
Another suave pair. This is not staged, I swear it. David and Nick just like wearing the same sort of sensible, comfortable stuff. This photo was taken in Sydney just after we picked up Mae and Lian at the airport after their flight back from New York. Mae had gone over to be there for Lian, to ease the pain of leaving. Lian has left the life she once thought she would be sharing with Matt in the USA and is returning to pick up the pieces in Melbourne. I drove while she talked. She was exhausted. We fell into Gabi's arms at Hawthorn. She took care of us for nearly a week while we flat-hunted for Lian.
Thanks, Gabi. I know this cost you in terms of your health and energy, but your place is an oasis.
Lian and I hunted high and low. We saw (I counted) nearly 30 places over five days. Got it down to a short list of about 6 and then did a scientifically designed (by me) rating scale exercise to identify the top 3. Nothing was perfect. All had good and bad points.
In between we managed some good fud and a couple of nice easy movies. I didn't want to leave, but I had to get back to start work again this week. Lian has been successful in her application for the big art deco apartment in South Yarra that was my personal favourite. She moves in on Saturday. Hope she likes it and it becomes a proper home.
I love Melbourne. Even the skyline at first light on the way to the airport.
In its wisdom, Virgin Airlines sends passengers from Melbourne to Port Macquarie, VIA BRISBANE! But I no complain. The view was good.
And...here is Port. I took this because the lady next to me was craning to see her house, right next to the racecourse. I emailed her the photo.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, David has been working on The Pool Shed. I have to admit, the shape is harmonious with the house. Bruce has been helping tremendously. David is learning much from him. Next project - the Main Shed.
We are loving having Lian's Suki, but this will come to an end soon when we drive her back down to Melbourne in a few weeks time. But before then, a trip to Canberra, hopefully. Mae has been accepted to do Vet Science at Murdoch University in WA. If Nick can get a work transfer, they will be off on a fabulous adventure!
Well, I have probably bored you long enough. I should go to bed. Good night, sleep tight, see you in the morning light. There will be no mention of bedbugs. No-one can cope with the stress of bedbugs right now!



















No comments:
Post a Comment