But we've been doing a few other things too! Lots of swimming (in the complex pool) and walking, a bit of shopping, some gawking at things, visitors and visiting. I love Melbourne.
It's a huge industry though and lots of people love it. I studied Kris and Ed having a go on the simulators to see if I could understand the attraction. Nope. I still don't get it...
Here's something else I don't get - gambling. This is the interior of the Crown Casino. Astonishingly opulent.
At the other end of the entertainment spectrum, in a completely not-opulent setting, we enjoyed an evening of comedy and burlesque at Club Voltaire in North Melbourne. Key word: emerging. This is a setting for emerging talent. The stand-up, Taco, has a gig at the forthcoming Melbourne Comedy Festival next week. Some of the other acts were a little questionable and had me mentally thinking up treatment plans for the psychopathology on display.
Old friends from Canberra, Kris and Ed came to stay with us for a couple of days. It was great to share some time with them. And some clothes with them - Melbourne's weather turned suddenly nasty and they had to borrow jumpers and scarves.
One morning we breakfasted in Fitzroy at one of Melbourne's fantastic little cafes - this one is sort of Tex/Mex/South American and served wonderful food in an eclectic clutter of stuff from south of the border. Lian and Wim (below) are sharing an apartment and a cat at present. It seems to be going OK.
Fitzroy is such an interesting and vibrant place. But it can be dangerous. Below is the scene on the morning of our carefree breakfast, in a street around the corner from Wim and Lian's apartment, in front of the supermarket where they do their shopping. A young man died there at 5am, from stab wounds to the neck. Chilling.
I'm glad I was able to see and hug this other young man (below) on that morning. This is Wim wearing his "I'm humouring my mother" expression.
No comments:
Post a Comment