Saturday, November 12, 2011

Caravan for Sale

Yes, it's come to this.  We are selling Clover. A sad day, we have loved our time as vanners. Why sell our lovely little mobile palace, do I hear you ask? Well, we can't really afford to have that much capital tied up in an asset we haven't used since we came to the mid north coast and are unlikely to use much over the next few years while we get the house built and established. It's a wrench though, polishing her up for sale brings back so many happy memories of The Big Trip.

She was listed yesterday and so far we have had two contacts - both unfortunately scammers.  You can pick them easily enough.  The first one claimed to be from someone named "Ken" at k77wwt@gmail.com.  On follow up he spun the line that he was working on an oil rig and would send his agent to look at the van, and wanted to pay by PayPal. Immediately suspect. Actually we may have heard from Ken before, as the oil rig line is familiar from when we were trying to sell the Verada online before we left Canberra.  The second one was a bit harder to pick, from someone purporting to be named "Janet" who interestingly was named "Jane" in her email address: cadwell.jane@gmail.com.  I googled Jane Cadwell as a precaution and found a reference to the name on a user forum discussing - guess what? Scammers. So, disappointing that there are crooks out there waiting to pounce. Now it seems my mobile number may have been harvested, as I have subsequently received an annoying text message from redeemsms@katamail.com that I have "won 550,000 pounds in the Blackberry Xmas promo" As my mother used to say "If you fall for that one, you'd fall for the pea and thimble".

Anyway, here is the actual ad:  http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Caravans/AdNumber=TP004904991

And here is the floorplan. We searched exhaustively before deciding on this. It worked so well as a mobile living space.  I'd happily do it all again. Most vans you can buy are bigger to tow and don't have the bathroom or the benchspace or the storage space or the zoned layout.  I couldn't come at the WC right next to the kitchen bench, for example. It sleeps 2 adults and an extra person under 170cm tall. And its an all-road model, goes anywhere. Think anyone will want it?  If we're forced to keep it I guess I won't be too upset.
expanda_plan_pop_14_44-3_lge



28 comments:

  1. grahamcomputergrafics@cablelayerone.net is a scam. He claims to be Ken Willis and an marine engineer. Saying that he will purchase my car through paypal and will send an agent out to pick up my car. In addition, that it is a present for his Father. It is a SCAM.
    I would suggest everybody to be careful when they receive such emails from unknown people on th internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip on Ken aka k77wwt@gmail.com, I was suspicious so googled and found your blog - he just SMS'd me for an advert placed today on bikesales.com.au so still scamming

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, (this is from ken k77wwt@gmail.com scammer Bikesales.com i was selling my bike there)

    Thank you for your mail,reciprocation of trust is very vital in every
    dealing,as i can categorically assure you that there will be no regret
    or soever as you ve decided to get back to me,let me know the actual
    amount you want to sell it as I am buying it for my Dad and i really
    want it to be a surprise for dad so i wont let him know anything about
    it until it gets delivered to him , I am sure he will be more than
    happy with it,and it is urgently needed,SO put it off the AD site.

    To enhance speedy transaction i will not be able to come for the
    inspection as I was planning going on buying physically but could not,
    due to the nature of my work as I am always on the move because I am a
    marine engineer and I work with an International shipping company,so
    there will be no problem with pick up as I have a reliable person to
    pick it up from your destination.

    I will be paying with my paypal account as i have my bank a/c
    attached to it...so please do reply me asap with your
    paypal email address so i can effect payment to you
    right away,and if you do not have a paypal account yet,it's pretty
    easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will also be responsible for
    the paypal charges

    I await your reply

    NB:Honestly, I would have loved to come for the inspection but cannot
    because I'm always busy at work.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Regards

    Ken.
    - Show quoted text -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. I just got the same thing today 30/11/2011 regarding a bike I have for sale on bikesales.com.au Be careful everyone, Muz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken is indeed a busy character. I have a car advertised on carsales, and have been spun the same story, from Ken Willis k77wwt@gmail.com via text, claiming his @ button was broken. Emailed him and recieved reply from grahamcomputergrafics@cablelayerone.net, claiming he works as Marine engineering wanting to buy vehicle as surprise for Dad, too busy to inspect bla, bla, Please provide paypal details and friend will pickup the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. he must really be doing the rounds...me too, this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the same as previously posted, but i got it this morning.. Same story... Ken is indeed a busy character. I have a car advertised on carsales, and have been spun the same story, from Ken Willis k77wwt@gmail.com via text, claiming his @ button was broken. Emailed him and recieved reply from grahamcomputergrafics@cablelayerone.net, claiming he works as Marine engineering wanting to buy vehicle as surprise for Dad, too busy to inspect bla, bla, Please provide paypal details and friend will pickup the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had exactly the same SMS to my mobile phone from k77wwt@gmail.com asking if my car is still on sale.

    This scam is originated from Nigeria, Lagos. I have tracked his IP address 41.220.69.71.

    I replied to hem and got back the same standard message:

    Hello,

    Thank you for your mail,reciprocation of trust is very vital in every
    dealing,as i can categorically assure you that there will be no regret
    or soever as you ve decided to get back to me,let me know the actual
    amount you want to sell it as I am buying it for my Dad and i really
    want it to be a surprise for dad so i wont let him know anything about
    it until it gets delivered to him , I am sure he will be more than
    happy with it,and it is urgently needed,kindly put it off the AD site.

    To enhance speedy transaction i will not be able to come for the
    inspection as I was planning going on buying physically but could not,
    due to the nature of my work as I am always on the move because I am a
    marine engineer and I work with an International shipping company,so
    there will be no problem with pick up as I have a reliable person to
    pick it up from your destination.I would have loved to talk to you on
    phone but our phone is down at work right now due to bad weather, we
    can only communicate with our base for now, please try and bear with
    me but as soon as the fone is up, i will definitely call you, but in
    the mean time lets get over the details via e-mail.With the issue of
    my details,transfering the name of ownership and signing of all paper
    works will be done by the courier service agent,so you don't have to
    worry about that.

    I will be paying with my paypal account as i have my bank a/c
    attached to it...so please do reply me asap with your
    paypal email address so i can effect payment to you
    right away,and if you do not have a paypal account yet,it's pretty
    easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will also be responsible for
    the paypal charges

    I await your reply

    NB:Honestly, I would have loved to come for the inspection but cannot
    because I'm always busy at work.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Regards

    Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I too got this SMS, thanks to this blog I didn't even send him an e-mail thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I received the exact same email this morning. Immediately alarm bells rang in my head so I haven't replied. My car was also advertised on carsales.com.au I've forwarded on the email to people I know so they can pass it on and others can be aware of him. Is there any grounds to contact and report him to the police?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got one today exactly the same from a car for sale at cars sales.com.au
    I hope the storms get really heavy for 'Ken'!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. got the same also...... learn to write a more inconspicuous email Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Received 2 texts the same day I advertised my ute. Ken & James Jones all willing to buy sight unseen, payment via Paypal. Rang Ebay to see if they had heard of the scam. Response - not interested, Paypal is secure. You can tell from the grammar it comes from you know where!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too,

    Got the exact same text and email from "Ken" on Gumtree 5 mins after putting up an add for my ute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yep, similar mail on my Craigs List ad..
    asked for me to reply with pictures.. I wrote back saying original ad already had pictures of item for sale. Then I got the "goofy" email about sending my paypal email and that he was a "marine engineering".. What a joke..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I received his SMS and email this morning. It reeked of dodginess (who writes like that)... Suspicions confirmed. Mine was on carsales.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got the exact same SMS and then email hes scammer

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi I am writing about this Ken guy his full name is Ken Willis with his email address as k77wwt@gmail.com he also has a Australian Roaming Mobile number which is +14043692361 so please if you have any dealings with this guy please do not give him any of your details.
    I have a car for sale and received a text from him so I emailed him not knowing what I know now I am from now on searching all email addresses and phone numbers from now on.
    But I emailed him and as I don't use Paypal I asked him how he could pay for the car another way and than I received a email from Paypal (well it was not from paypal) stating that the funds are on hold in my account than I received a email from this ken not 5 minutes later stating that he forwarded the funds into my paypal account. But I sent him a email stating that I don't have paypal so I had a look at my email and the email that I had sent had been returned. So he didn't get any of my money but I know he has to alot of other people so I have tried to warn as many websites as possible. Because I don't know how funds could be in my Paypal account when I don't have one in the first place.
    Please take it easy when trying to sell things on the Internet but if you are interested in buying a 1995 Hyundai Excel please have alook at my ad on Carsales.com.au and search for Vehicle Id Number SSE-AD-528177 I am only asking for $1600.00 and it has rego til April 2012
    Regards

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got an email exactly as described above.
    Ken is a SCAMMER!!!!
    Third Scammer in 2Days

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got the same email today from a carsales advert of mine. aka Ken needs to be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Got two similar SMS and subsequent gmails in response to my carsales add from ken-k77wwt@gmail.com and from Daniel Crowe-dccrow3@gmail.com. Thanks for this post. I am going to ignore this and wait for the genuine buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello,

    Thank you for your mail,reciprocation of trust is very vital in every
    dealing,as i can categorically assure you that there will be no regret
    or soever as you ve decided to get back to me,let me know the actual
    amount you want to sell it as I am buying it for my Dad and i really
    want it to be a surprise for dad so i wont let him know anything about
    it until it gets delivered to him , I am sure he will be more than
    happy with it,and it is urgently needed.

    To enhance speedy transaction i will not be able to come for the
    inspection as I was planning going on buying physically but could not,
    due to the nature of my work as I am always on the move because I am a
    marine engineer and I work with an International shipping company,so
    there will be no problem with pick up as I have a reliable person to
    pick it up from your destination.I would have loved to talk to you on
    phone but our phone is down at work right now due to bad weather, we
    can only communicate with our base for now, please try and bear with
    me but as soon as the fone is up, i will definitely call you, but in
    the mean time lets get over the details via e-mail.With the issue of
    my details,transfering the name of ownership and signing of all paper
    works will be done by the courier service agent,so you don't have to
    worry about that.

    I will be paying with my paypal account as i have my bank a/c
    attached to it...so please do reply me asap with your
    paypal email address so i can effect payment to you
    right away,and if you do not have a paypal account yet,it's pretty
    easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will also be responsible for
    the paypal charges

    I await your reply

    NB:Honestly, I would have loved to come for the inspection but cannot
    because I'm always busy at work.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Regards

    Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I got the same fella Ken WILLIS exactly the same modus operandi and exactly the same wordings.

    Good luck KEN.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great thought I had sold my car but i guess not. glad i double checked before paying for the freight that he is suposibly paying me. thanks guys this is a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  25. After reading the first two sentences of his standard reply, I was suspicious. First I went to cablelayerone.net - it's been registered for a year, but just has a google apps empty page. I then googled cablelayerone.net and came here.
    I'm not going to reply to his e-mail - no point - he probably has hundreds of e-mails out there and doesn't really track which fishing lines have bitten or not. I'll report it as SPAM in my gmail.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a car for sale and received a message that I was suspicious of so I googled the email k77wwt@gmail.com and found this.

    Thanks for posting and making me aware that it's a scam.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just got my Ken email today - won't reply after reading the above - thanks for posting the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  28. exactly the same email from Ken. He said he already transfered money to my Paypal and needs me pay for the freight in a Western Union account. I realised it is a SCAM. Then I googled this posting. I am going to ignore this. Thanks for the posting.

    ReplyDelete