Monday, October 21, 2013

It's my turn to cook

It's Monday night and David has gone to band practice, which means it's my turn to cook. Ashamed to admit I seem to have lost all interest in cooking. Despite what my children may tell you (having grown up with David's cooking), I can do it if I have to. But I don't enjoy it like some people do...Anyway, tonight I have marinaded some chicken in Asian flavours, and it is roasting at present, to be served with coriander, accompanied by sweet potato baked with caramelised onion and also zucchini, steamed then fried up with seeds. All the ingredients came out of the garden or the bottom of the fridge (I also avoid grocery shopping) so I hope it goes OK.  Bit of a cultural mix, but there you go. We can be international.

The awful NSW fires haven't been near us his week, but nearby Old Bar area burned a couple of weeks ago. It looks like a doozy of a season coming up. We need to get a diesel pump so we can defend the house if necessary, using dam water. That purchase is on the want-list. Along with eleventy hundred other things that would improve our rural lifestyle. One day.


So, what have we been up to this week? Why, gardening of course! A little rain fell and the grass has turned green and sprung up, so David has been mowing. We planted ten hibiscus prunings that had accidentally turned into plants - gift from neighbours on the corner. He's a gardener by trade and everything he touches grows. (Above) lots more cuttings that we have potted up, growing pretty well, mostly. But won't be ready until we're back from NZ.


This is one of David's home made flat whites. Mmmm. Best coffee in the district. Do you like the creative latte art? On work days I buy from a fantastic little espresso bar, which is 10 steps away from the door of my counselling rooms at the village square. The barista calls me by name and starts making my coffee as soon as he sees me, just how I like it. There's no cinema around here, no petrol station close by, no Bunnings within half an hour and our doctors are closing their surgery. But the coffee situation is Sorted.


If you keep your wits about you, there are good cultural offerings even in this rural area. For example, Bell Shakespeare was at Taree for one night only, and it happened to be the night of David's birthday, last Thursday. The production is yet to go to Canberra  and Sydney. Don't miss it, people. It is hilarious. Very very cleverly staged. We also went out for a good Italian meal at The Sicilian, a newish local restaurant which has such a stylish fit out it wouldn't look out of place in Lygon Street. It is raising the bar higher in (not at all cosmopolitan) Taree that is for sure.


David has been in his studio a little bit lately which I love to see because he works so hard in the garden I get worried for him, sometimes.


Well I'm back after dinner, which turned out pretty good. Its about time to head for bed. I wish you could hear the frog chorus coming from the dam right now. Such a pleasure, so many different calls. Its a full moon too, and the stars are vivid. Last night we had a wander around the top of the dam just before bed. Frogs are even louder up close. The water was inky but you could see the waterlily leaves and buds. The blue lily flowers open with the dawn. From the other side of the house I can hear the surf in the distance. There are compensations for not having a Dendy round the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment